Tuesday, May 17, 2011

13 Fun Facts about Coffee

1. Coffee was originally eaten in African tribes, where tribes people mixed coffee beans with fat.

2. Coffee beans can only be grown between the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn. This is known as the "Coffee Belt".

3. Around 70% of the world consumes Arabica coffee, while the remaining 30% consume Robusta Coffee.

4. Coffee is the second most traded commodity on earth behind oil.

5. Instant Coffee was invented in Guatemala in 1906, by a man named George Washington. It was not the American President however.

6. Approximately 6 million metric tonnes of Coffee are produced every year.

7. It takes 5 years for a coffee tree to reach maturity.

8. Coffee trees can grow to 30 feet tall, however they are more commonly cultivated to 10 feet for easier picking of the beans.

9. October 1st is the "Official Coffee Day" of Japan.

10. In the US, approximately 30% of Coffee drinkers added sweeteners to their coffee.

11. In the UK, this number is 57%.

12. It takes approximately 40 Coffee beans to make an espresso coffee.

13. A coffe tree lives for between 60 and 70 years.