1. The name "Ukulele" means "jumping flea" in Hawaiian.
2. The ukelele is best known for its part in Hawaiian music, but was derived from two Portugese instruments, the braguinha and the cavaquino.
3. The Ukulele is commonly known as the "Uke".
4. Ukulele's come in four different sizes - soprano, concert, tenor and baritone.
5. The soprano is the standard size ukulele.
6. Tiny Tim bought ukulele playing to the pop charts with his 1968 hit single "Tiptoe Through the Tulips".
7. The ukulele is played by plucking at its four strings.
8. There are now electric ukuleles.
9. Ukulele's are generally made from mahogany wood, however cheaper versions can be found in plastic.
10. The ukulele is small, seldom more than 60cm long.
11. The first ukulele was made in 1879.
12. As of the year 2000, there are only 3 companies in the world which manufacture ukulele's.
13. The 4 strings of a ukulele are tuned the the notes G-C-E-A.
If you enjoyed these fun facts, click here to view my writing profile